Our family LOVES taco night! We usually eat our tacos in either whole wheat tortillas or the hard corn taco shells. However, since following the 21 Day Fix eating plan, I’ve been trying to add more veggies to my daily nutrition plan. And hey, I thought why not try to get my kids to eat more veggies too!
Not only is this recipe healthy and full of veggies, but it’s low-carb as well, so if you’re doing the 21 Day Fix, and you’ve used up all your yellow containers for the day, then these Turkey Taco Zucchini Boats are a great option.
I wasn’t sure what the rest of the family would think, I already knew I would like them! As it turns out, they really like them too! The turkey mixture is so flavourful, and of course, who doesn’t like anything baked with cheese.
I really encourage you to try these! If you don’t have ground turkey, you could use ground chicken or even ground beef. (21 Day Fix container equivalent found near bottom of recipe.)
Turkey Taco Zucchini Boats
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: serves 4
- Serving Size: 2 zucchini boat halves
- 4 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup salsa (I used mild)
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (or chicken)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 oz no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup low-fat Tex-Mex shredded cheese
- chopped cilantro or green onions for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F. Place 1/4 cup of salsa in the bottom of a large baking dish.
- Using a small spoon (I used a teaspoon,) hollow out the centre of the zucchini halves, leaving 1/4-inch thick shell on each half. Chop the scooped out zucchini flesh and save 1/2 cup to add to the taco filling (squeeze excess water with a paper towel,) discarding the rest.
- Brown turkey in a large skillet, breaking up as it cooks. When no longer pink, add the chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and salt and mix well. Add the reserved zucchini, tomato sauce, salsa, and water. Stir and simmer on low for 15 minutes.
- Using a spoon, fill the hollowed zucchini boats dividing the taco meat evenly, pressing firmly. Top each with 1 Tbsp of shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes, until cheese is melted and zucchini is cooked through. Top with cilantro or green onions if desired.
21 Day Fix: 1 green, 1 red, 1/2 blue